Perils for Pedestrians
TV talk about people who walk
Episodes 161 to 170 of Perils for Pedestrians
All episodes are 28 minutes long. A new episode is released
Click on any photo for a larger image, a description, and the video.
Episode 170: Bridges
- We talk with U.S. Deputy Secretary of Transportation John Porcari about Livable Communities at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Trail.
- We visit a new pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River between2Omaha, Nebraska, and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
- We travel to Kansas City, Missouri, where it is difficult for pedestrians to cross the Missouri River.
- We drop in on the grand opening of the Walkway Over The Hudson in Poughkeepsie, New York. We ask Governor Paterson about pedestrian access to other New York bridges.
Episode 169: Brussels, Belgium
- We drop in on the Velo-City bicycling conference in Brussels.
- We talk with the regional Minister for Mobility.
- We learn about the European Transport Safety Council.
- We observe a folding bicycle race.
Episode 168: Belgium
- We travel to Flanders, Belgium, where advocates reopened an ancient country footpath.
- We look at a footpath through a parking garage in Brussels.
- We visit the wide street in front of the Royal Palace.
- We learn about the European Greenways Association.
- We look at planning for the largest pedestrian event in Washington history, President Obama's inauguration.
- Thousands of cyclists took advantage of valet bicycle parking for the inauguration.
- We learn about Humana's Freewheelin' bicycle sharing program in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Humana took their bicycle program to the Democratic and Republican National Conventions.
- We talk with a convention delegate who tried out the shared bicycles.
- We learn about Safe Routes To School in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- We look at Safe Routes To School in suburban Chicago.
- We travel to Ottawa to talk with Barry Wellar about Sustainable Transport.
- We meet a mobility consultant in Paris.
Episode 165: Indiana
- We meet a member of Crown Point Safe Pathways in Indiana.
- We look at non-motorized planning in northern Indiana.
- We learn about special events in downtown Valparaiso.
- We learn about Valparaiso Pathways.
- We look at the creation of a bike map for Richmond, Indiana.
Episode 164: Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
- We talk with a principal about walking to school in Urbana, Illinois.
- We talk with an engineer about Safe Routes to School.
- We meet a school crossing guard in Champaign, Illinois.
- We learn how the Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District promotes walking, cycling, and transit.
Episode 163: Urbana, Illinois
- We look at a road diet on Lincoln Avenue in Urbana, Illinois.
- We learn about the bike plan for Urbana.
- We talk with the secretary of Champaign County Bikes.
- We learn about the Non-motorized Transportation Pilot Project in Columbia, Missouri.
- Sidewalk maintenance has been neglected in Columbia.
- We talk with a wheelchair user in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.
- We look at a wide intersection in Kansas City, Missouri.
- We meet a bicycle advocate in Moline, Illinois.
Episode 161: Arkansas
- We visit the Big Dam Bridge up river from Little Rock.
- We visit the Medical Mile in downtown Little Rock.
- We look at measuring the Body Mass Index of school children in Arkansas.
- We learn about pedestrian issues in Cabot, Arkansas.